The Creative Director Personality
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Art and Creative Director Careers and other Creative Staffing topics.
Do creative directors have particular personality characteristics?
Is there an "ideal personality" that all creative directors have? The chances of all these professionals sharing the same characteristics is slim, but there are some personality traits that just may make the job a bit easier. Here are a few:
- A strategic mind. Where art directors need to be able to see layout, creative directors need to understand how the entire publication fits in with the voice and style of the organization. This requires the ability to think strategically.
- A strong creative streak. Any title that actually has the word "creative" in it is pretty self-explanatory. It isn't enough to be a little creative, however. You should have ideas that really set you apart from the crowd.
- Organizational capacity. This goes hand-in-hand with strategic thinking. Managing the big picture means that you have to be able to see all the moving parts and keep track of them.
- The ability to accept risk. Not every idea or direction will work out for the creative director. Having the ability to accept a bit of risk is a crucial characteristic that most people in this position share.
- The ability to lead. Creative directors have to be able to lead a team and keep it on target.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.