Greening Your Studio
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Inside the Design Studio and other Creative Staffing topics.
How can I "green" my studio space?
When it comes to your graphic design studio, there are many different ways you can "go green". If you are looking to reduce energy use and waste on the job, here are some great tips to get you started:
- Recycle. Set up an area for cans, bottles and paper and recycle whatever you can. Use old paper as scrap and bring coffee cups from home that you can wash instead of using disposables. Every little bit helps.
- Change bulbs. Using florescent bulbs uses less energy than other bulbs. Change them out where you can. Don't forget bathrooms, closets and hallways.
- Power strips. Putting electronics that don't need to be on all the time on a power strip allows you to turn them all off with the flip of a switch. This will result in energy savings since most electronics use power even when switched off.
- Outdoor lighting. Consider solar lights for outdoor use if possible.
- Timers. Use timers for indoor and outdoor lighting to save energy.
- Programmable thermostat. This item allows you to adjust the temperature based on if there will be anyone in the building. You can use less heat and air conditioning when people aren't there, reducing your overall energy use.
- Use recycled products, such as paper, paper towels and toilet paper.
Just using these simple tips will help you save energy at work, and the best part is that you can use them at home as well. Remember--greening the design studio doesn't have to be an overwhelming task!