Graphic Design: Wages
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Careers in Graphic Design and other Creative Staffing topics.
What do wages look like in the graphic design field?
So exactly how much does your average graphic designer earn these days? If you are going into the field fresh out of school--or simply thinking about changing graphic art design jobs, you are probably a little curious as to what the going rate is out there. As always, there is a bit of a range, but according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, here is the breakdown as of May 2006:
- The lowest range of graphic designers earned under $24,120
- The middle range of graphic designers earned between $30,600 and $53,310
- The highest range of graphic designers earned over $69,730
Now, you may be wondering how this breaks down in various careers within the field. Well, here are some more numbers to help give you an idea of what is out there--these are the median yearly numbers for 2007 in several different areas to help you get a feel:
- Entry level designers earned $35,000
- Staff level designers earned $45,000
- Senior designers earned $62,000
- Solo/freelance designers earned $60,000
- Design directors earned $98,600
As you can see there is a fairly wide range of pay in the graphic design field. Much of it is based on seniority, but some of it is also related to the type of position one has in the industry. It is helpful to keep an eye on the numbers so that you are aware of the pay range and possibilities that are available to you.