How can I avoid being late for a job interview?
Most people are aware of the fact that showing up on time for an interview is important. Still, people mess up from time to time, which begs the question--how can you avoid being late for an interview? Here are some top tips for getting there on time:
- Scope out the site before the day of the interview. If you'll be driving, find out what the parking situation is. If you are taking the train, look for a nearby coffee shop that you can hit if you arrive early. Make a note of how long it took you to get there.
- Leave ample time to get to the building. Try and account for everything from traffic to weather--and build in plenty of buffer time. Add ten or fifteen minutes to whatever you come up with.
- Don't go in too early. Arriving an hour early can look as bad as coming late. Find something to do if you get there with time to spare. Go to the library and research creative director careers (or whatever your field is), take a walk in the park to calm your nerves or read the paper and grab a cup of coffee.
- Ask for directions. If you don't want to ask the person who will be interviewing you, call the human resources department or operator and ask for directions. You can also look them up on the Internet.
- Double check the directions. If you know someone who lives in the area where you'll be interviewing, ask them if they know the building you will be going to. If you don't know anyone nearby, check out the information you've been given on a map.
- If you simply can't avoid being late, call as soon as you know you aren't going to make it on time. Sometimes it is just unavoidable.
Being on time for an interview is crucial to your success in the job hunt. Try using some of these tips to make sure you arrive on time!
Creative Staffing Frequently Asked Questions
What are some different interview formats?
Should I consider hiring an agency to find a good candidate for the position?
What is recruiting, and why should I consider it?
Why is checking references important?
Why are exit interviews helpful?
What should I do after an interview?
Should I comment on past work experiences that have been negative when interviewing?
Do I have to send a thank you note after an interview?
What are some things to watch out for during a job interview?
How can I avoid being late for a job interview?
Should I ask questions during an interview?
Should I ask about pay and benefits at a first interview?
How personal should I get in a job interview?
How can I learn more about a company before my interview?
What are some good interviewing tips?
Should I consider going to a talent agency?
What are some common interview questions?
What are some tips for negotiating a job offer?
Should I join my local Chamber of Commerce?
Could graphic design be the right career for me?
What is the employment outlook for graphic designers?
What are the basic educational requirements for a career in graphic design?
What do wages look like in the graphic design field?
What are some of the different types of careers in graphic design?
What are some thoughts on specializing in a career as a graphic designer?
Does quantity or quality matter in a portfolio?
How can I develop a designer profile?
How can I start building a portfolio as a Web designer?
What is the best way to get started on developing a freelance designer portfolio?
What are the main things to consider in a portfolio for an intermediate or advanced Web designer?
What are some tips for surviving a portfolio review?
What are some tips for dropping off or mailing a portfolio?
How can I get into designing Websites?
Can you switch careers from graphic design to Web design?
What training is required of Web desingers?
What are some of the job possibilites in Web design?
What should I know about pricing my work as a Web designer?
What are some of the skills needed for a career in Web design?
Where can I find reliable career advice?
What is global Web design and why is it important?
Why is understanding the global market important?
What are the potential issues with language when it comes to design?
Do fonts matter when it comes to global Web design?
Are there any global issues involved with shopping on the Web?
Is specializing in global Web topics a smart idea for those in marketing?
What are some details that can make a difference when it comes to global Website design?
Should I be concerned about customizing my shopping experience on the Web?
What are some tips for decorating at the studio?
What are some things to consider when starting a freelance graphic design business?
Are ergonomic factors important to designers?
What are some tips for proper monitor placement?
What are some ergonomic issues to consder in terms of workstation setup?
What are some upgrades to consider for a laptop as a designer?
How can I "green" my studio space?
What are some examples of recent innovations in Web technology?
What is software?
Are Web cameras useful to designers?
What is HTML?
What role do search engines play in Web design?
What is social networking?
What does the mobile Web mean for designers?
How can I stay up to date on Web technology?
What are some advantages to Web based training programs?
What is one of the main disadvantages of Web-based training?
What are some things to think about when trying to decide if Web based training is right for my company?
What are some ways to know if a Web training program is a good quality one?
What is a content writer and how can they help in Web based training?
How should I present a Web based training program?
What happens after the Web based training program is created and tested?
How can I be sure my Web based training program is a good one?