The Job Search: Are You Ready?
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about How to Get a Job and other Creative Staffing topics.
What are some things I need to do to get ready for a job search?
It doesn't matter if you are looking for freelance copywriter jobs or editing jobs; if you're in the job search game, you need to make sure you are ready to dazzle potential interviewers with your abilities. If you haven't been in the mix for a while, you may need to update several things to make sure you are current. Here are some things you may want to consider:
- Clothing. If you have a nine year old suit, you may need to invest in a new outfit so that you don't come across as "dated".
- A new hair cut or style may make you feel more confident. Just make sure you don't do something too drastic.
- Resume. The way resumes are put together changes periodically in any field. If you aren't sure what the current style is, it can pay to have someone look at yours so that you can adjust it accordingly.
- Contact list. References may need an updating; check to make sure that telephone numbers are current before listing them on an application. Don't forget to add any new contacts.
- Additional training. Make sure any classes, courses or training you have is reflected on your current resume.
Making a good impression can be as simple as investing some time in these areas to be sure you come across well. If you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, or you need additional input, consider a talent agency or similar organization. They can help advise you on any things that you may need to address before the job search begins.